Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - collection of diversity data
What do we mean by "Diversity Data"?
"Diversity Data" is what we call personal data which relates to your gender, age, ethnicity, nationality and sexual orientation.
Why are we collecting Diversity Data?
We recognise industry biases mean not all talent have had the same opportunities to build out their experience. It is often difficult for our clients (brands, publishers and agencies) to connect with traditionally underrepresented talent, and to measure how diverse their projects are or have been, therefore hampering their ability to put diversity and inclusion front and centre of their business.
By collecting Diversity Data about talent (where talent choose to provide it), we are seeking to ensure that:
- our clients are able to select the right talent for their briefs and projects, taking diversity considerations into account;
- diversity in our industry becomes the norm, not the exception;
- we are able to create fresh opportunities for collaboration and work that truly reflects the world.
You can read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion here.
Do you have to share your Diversity Data?
You do not have to provide us with any Diversity Data. The provision of Diversity Data is entirely voluntary. You can chose to either provide us with all, some or none of your Diversity Data.
When you first register on our platform, you can choose to include your Diversity Data in your profile. If you choose not to provide your Diversity Data when you first register, but subsequently change your mind, you can go into your profile and add your Diversity Data at that stage. We will ask you at appropriate intervals to check that the information included in your profile (including your Diversity Data) is accurate and up-to-date.
If you choose to provide us with your Diversity Data, we ask you to explicitly consent to our use of it as set out in these FAQs. You can withdraw your consent at any time by deleting your Diversity Data from your profile (see the section below on how long we keep your Diversity Data).
How will we use your Diversity Data?
If you choose to include your Diversity Data in your profile:
- we, at Untold Fable, will have access to your Diversity Data when we create talent shortlists to match our client's briefs and project specifications;
- your profile (including your Diversity Data) will be made available to clients, for a limited period of time, when we include you in a shortlist for a client's specific brief or project; a shortlist is specific to a particular client, that client will be able to see your Diversity Data, but we haven't included any functionality on the platform which allows them to filter the shortlist by reference to talent's Diversity Data, or to download or otherwise extract your profile (including your Diversity Data) from the platform;
- if you work on our clients' projects or briefs, your Diversity Data will be included in aggregated and anonymous diversity reports we provide to our clients; for example, a client would be able to see that, for all projects they have commissioned through Untold Fable, x% of the talent they have engaged on those projects are female.
We, and our clients, are each "controllers" of the personal data included in your profile (including your Diversity Data) for the purposes of data protection laws. We have contractual arrangements in place with our clients governing ours and their use of your Diversity Data, and ensuring that we each comply with our legal obligations in relation to it. You can request information from us about which clients have viewed your profile (including your Diversity Data) by e-mailing us at email@example.com.
What measures have we taken to prevent discrimination?
We have taken measures to ensure that talent are not disadvantaged, or otherwise discriminated against, on the basis of their Diversity Data, and whether or not they have chosen to provide it:
- Diversity Data is only part of your profile;
- we do not give any particular weighting to Diversity Data when considering which talent to shortlist for a client's brief, nor is Diversity Data relevant to the order in which talent appear in those shortlists;
- whether or not you choose to provide your Diversity Data does not impact on your ability to use our platform, to work with us, or the likelihood of you being included on a client shortlist;
- neither we, nor our clients, can filter talent by reference to Diversity Data;
- we provide training to our people on how to use the platform and, specifically, the aims of the platform and how it is not to be used as a tool to discriminate against talent on the basis of their diversity characteristics;
- we take reasonable and proportionate steps to prevent and prohibit our clients from discriminating against talent on the basis of their diversity characteristics, including in our contractual arrangements with them.
How do we keep your Diversity Data safe?
We have carried out, and continue to carry out, robust due diligence on our security measures, and we put appropriate protections in place to ensure that your personal data (including your Diversity Data) is safe and secure, including via encryption. All users that have access to our platform (which includes our own personnel, clients' personnel and other talent) are allocated a role with permissions which will restrict what personal data they can see. Each user has an account, which is password protected. We can log all activity on a user's account.
We have contractual arrangements in place with our service providers, clients and other third parties (such as freelance producers) who have access to your personal data (including your Diversity Data), which require them to have robust information security requirements and (where applicable) to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your data in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
How long will we keep your Diversity Data and where is it stored?
We will only keep your Diversity Data for as long as you want us to. You can choose to delete your Diversity Data from your profile (or to delete your profile entirely) at any time. If you do so, your Diversity Data will no longer appear in your profile, or in any talent shortlists we have provided to clients. We will keep your Diversity Data on our back-up systems for 35 days; after that time, your Diversity Data is deleted entirely from our systems.
Your Diversity Data is stored on servers in London; however, it will be accessible by clients worldwide through our password protected private cloud.